Friday, February 18, 2011

What Is Pop Culture and What Does It Mean To Me?

            Depending upon who you ask, Pop Culture can be described in many ways.  The definition found in our text, Profiles of Popular Culture a Reader, Browne, R.B. (2005), pg. 3, it is the system of attitudes, behavior patterns, beliefs, customs, and tastes that define the people of any society.  I just had a conversation with my son-in-law telling him that I had to finish working on my assignment in “pop” culture and when I used that particular term “pop”.  I ask him what it meant to him and his response was that pop culture related to music and the kinds of music that people listen to.  When individuals listen to a particular kind of music, they relate to a particular group of individuals.

               I don’t let others belief’s influence me in any way whatsoever; I am in individual who likes to form my own opinion.  I feel that in the career path that I have chosen, I have to keep an open mind when it comes to my own attitude, behavior pattern, beliefs, customs and tastes.  If I were to take only the word “culture” and define it, I consider it to mean the way an individual has grown up in society (i.e rich or poor; white, Hispanic, or black; East Coast or West Coast).  Then when I consider the word “popular”, I consider that to be what has become common in society to everyone.
   
               I chose to use the cover from the movie “The Conviction”.  This is a movie based on a true story, which a man is wrongfully convicted of a murder and spends 16 years in prison, while his sister pursues her GED, Undergraduate, and Law School to overturn his conviction.  The thing is because of the attitudes of this town, the behavior patterns involving the police and prosecution and man spent 16 years behind bars for a murder he never committed.

               So each individual defines popular culture in their own way:  maybe of their upbringing as a child, maybe because of what they hear on the television, but just in the little bit that I have read so far I have definitely learned that popular culture is very broad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment